Proposed CP-BNSF Freight Train Connection
At this time, the city does not know whether Burlington North Santa Fe and Canadian Pacific still intend to build the connector track through the business properties located at 5140, 5160 and 5170 West Broadway.
What we do know is:
• Hennepin County now owns the 5170 West Broadway parcel; and
• State law has been changed to roll back the railroads' eminent domain authority so they cannot take property from the county if the county determines that the taking would be detrimental to public safety.
Some recognitions are in order:
• The city appreciates the involvement of its residents in standing up for the safety of our community. Your efforts were essential in making this happen.
• The city thanks the staff, elected officials and residents of Robbinsdale, New Hope, Golden Valley, Plymouth and Minneapolis, and the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board, for adding your voices to the chorus objecting to the proposed connection.
• The city also thanks Hennepin County for stepping up and doing what the local communities couldn't realistically do on our own.
• The city also extends its appreciation to Governor Dayton and a bipartisan coalition of state legislators for their strong action on this issue in the 2015 legislative session. This includes Senator Ann Rest from New Hope and Representative Sarah Anderson from Plymouth, as well as Crystal's representatives Lyndon Carlson and Mike Freiberg.
• Finally, the city appreciates the responsiveness and attention of our Congressional delegation (Senators Klobuchar and Franken, and Representative Ellison) and the Surface Transportation Board.
For background information, please see the links below:
Facebook group in opposition to the freight rail connection
Proposed CP use of BNSF: aerial photo and map
General Location of BNSF's Proposed Freight Rail Connection
BNSF Layout of Proposed Freight Rail Connection
Map of Emergency Services Impacts in Crystal
Question and Answer Posters
Sample Letter to Federal Officials
7/27/2015: KARE 11 news item (Putting the Brakes on Crystal Rail Connection)
7/26/2015: Star Tribune news item (County land grab, state law in path of Crystal rail connection)
4/15/2015: Channel 12 news item (BN-CP Rail Connection Update - by Robbinsdale City Manager)
4/9/2015: Sun-Post news item (Legislation that limits railroads' eminent domain nears floor votes)
3/20/2015: Channel 12 news item (Local officials testify on rail connection)
3/18/2015: Finance & Commerce news item (County's land buy could block Crystal rail connection)
3/17/2015: Star Tribune news item (Hennepin County Board acts to block rail junction in Crystal)
3/13/2015: Channel 12 news item (Hennepin County approves land deal that could halt train plan)
3/11/2015: KARE 11 news item (County and railroads on collision course)
3/11/2015: Star Tribune News Item (Hennepin County seeks to halt rail traffic by buying key property in Crystal)
3/10/2015: Sun-Post news item ("We think we can make a difference")
3/10/2015: Channel 12 Community Corner item (Burlington Northern - Canadian Pacific Rail Connection)
3/7/2015: KARE 11 news item (Metro residents express concerns about train reroute)
3/4/2015: Letter from Congressman Ellison to Surface Transportation Board requesting a full EIS
2/26/2015: Letter from Twin West Chamber of Commerce to Surface Transporation Board requesting a full EIS
2/26/2015: Notice of March 7 Open House regarding the Proposed Freight Rail Connection
2/26/2015: Sun-Post news item (Dayton calls for freight rail environmental impact statement)
2/23/2015: Finance & Commerce news item (Dayton Seeks Study of Crystal Freight Rail Change)
2/23/2015: Star Tribune opinion item by local mayors (Danger Ahead on the Tracks)
2/20/2015: KARE 11 news item (Rail Plans Worry Local Leaders)
2/19/2015: Letter from Governor Dayton to Surface Transportation Board requesting a full EIS
2/19/2015: Star Tribune news item (Dayton weighs in on proposed north-metro rail-line connection)
2/19/2015: MPR news item (Dayton wants review of proposed 'high hazard' train track)
2/17/2016: Star Tribune news item (Mpls, Crystal, Robbinsdale want say on plan to reroute freight, oil rail)
2/17/2015: KSTP news item (Leaders work to stop railroad expansion in Crystal)
2/17/2015: Channel 12 news item (Local cities voice opposition to railroad project)
2/17/2015: Crystal City Council Resolution petitioning the Surface Transportation Board to require an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on construction of railroad connector track in Crystal
2/17/2015: Robbinsdale City Council Resolution
2/17/2015: Golden Valley City Council Resolution
2/10/2015: Sun-Post news item (More freight connection details emerge)
2/4/2015: Star Tribune news item (New twist in Crystal tracks could mean more congestion, safety issues)
1/29/2015: Sun-Post news item (Freight rail proposal concerns Crystal and neighboring cities)
1/26/2015: Channel 12 news item (Reported rail project could block traffic in Crystal)